Climate & Resource Efficiency
The business community has a key role in taking action and coming up with new innovative solutions to combat climate change and increasing resource efficiency.
Climate change is accelerating faster than the efforts to address it. The business community has a key role in taking action and coming up with new innovative solutions to combat climate change and increase resource efficiency. Investor is committed to climate targets aligned with the Paris Agreement and has set targets to halving the greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.
Investor's 2030 and 2050 targets:
- Reduce CO2e emissions from portfolio companies by 70 percent by 2030 compared to 2016 (the portfolio companies' scope 1 and 2 emissions)
- The ambition to reach net zero emissions across the value chain by 2050 at the latest (the portfolio companies' scope 1 and 2 emissions)
- Accelerate the portfolio companies’ climate strategies beyond their basic footprint, ensuring that all portfolio companies set relevant reduction targets related to their products, services or value chain (the portfolio companies’ scope 3 emissions)
- Encourage all portfolio companies to align with the Paris Agreement and when relevant, to commit to Science Based Targets
- Encourage all portfolio companies to report climate related risks and opportunities in accordance with the Task Force on Climate Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD) framework
As an engaged long-term owner, we strive to empower our companies to invest and innovate. The future success of our companies depends on their capacity to drive change and to invest for the long-term in new solutions that are more resource efficient and that meet the needs of their customers, not only today but also tomorrow. We encourage our companies to invest in innovation and develop products that make a positive contribution to the environment. We follow-up our portfolio companies yearly regarding waste, water consumption and carbon emissions. Investor encourage our companies to set targets regarding resource efficiency.
63% of our companies reduction targets for their scope 3 emissions
57% carbon emissions from our overall portfolio have decreased by 57% compared to 2016
67% of our companies have targets regarding resource efficiency
Even though Investor’s direct environmental impact is limited, we want to do our share and minimize our negative impact and carbon footprint. Investor has committed to climate targets aligned with the Paris Agreement’s aim of limiting global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees above pre-industrial levels.
Investor has joined the UNFCCC’s Race to Zero campaign and is an Exponential Roadmap Initiative partner.
Investor’s 2030 and 2050 targets:
- Reach net zero emissions as a company by 2030
- The ambition to reach net zero emissions across the value chain by 2050 at the latest
Exponential Roadmap Initiative and UNFCCC Race to Zero
The Exponential Roadmap Initiative is for innovators, transformers and disruptors taking action in line with 1.5°C, with the mission to halve emissions before 2030 through exponential climate action and solutions. It brings together leading businesses committed to halving emissions before 2030 towards net-zero, integrating climate in business strategy and influencing climate action in society, as described by the 4 pillars of the 1.5°C Business Playbook
The Exponential Roadmap Initiative is an entry point for businesses to join the United Nations’ Race to Zero campaign which rallies non state actors to take immediate action to halve global emissions by 2030 and deliver a healthier, fairer zero carbon world in time. All members are committed to the same overarching goal: reducing emissions across all scopes swiftly and fairly in line with the Paris Agreement, with transparent action plans and robust near-term targets.
In 2022, the scope 1 and 2 emissions for Investor AB equaled 68 tonnes, a reduction of 42 percent compared to 2016. To reach our target, Investor will continue to minimize carbon emissions from our energy use and company cars. Investor also has a target to reduce emissions from our value chain, related to emissions from our overall portfolio (read more under Responsible Owner). Investor monitors and analyses greenhouse gas emissions on a yearly basis, which provides us with a tool to take further action to reduce our direct and indirect climate change impacts. Investor reports the carbon emissions to CDP.
-42% carbon emissions from our own operation (scope 1 and 2) have decreased compared to 2016
100% renewable electricity in our main premises in Stockholm
B - Investor received higher score than average in CDP climate change questionnaire